Last Sunday, over 11.7 million viewers watched the conclusion of the epic mini-series The Bible.  What a fitting way to conclude a day of Easter celebrations, from the sunrise services, cantatas, and dramatic performances, to the Easter egg hunts, delectable dinners, and time spent with family and friends.  Inevitably, Easter means a lot of things to a lot of people.  But one meaning of Easter outshines them all.  The Resurrection of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, Jesus Christ, is the reason for this joyous celebration.  The Bible series may be over, but the story has just begun.

As I watched this moving depiction of the greatest story ever told, I was reminded once again of how the stories in the Bible are much more than stories.  Unlike fairytales, the stories in the Bible are real.  The people in the Bible are real.  Jesus Christ is real.  To sit and watch this movie, I felt as if I was watching a movie about my best friend.  When I was a little girl, I gave my heart to Jesus.  Since then, He has always been my best friend.  While tears welled up in my eyes as I watched Jesus cry out, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me,” I was still smiling because I knew that God had not forsaken Him.  I knew that three days later, He would rise again.  I knew that this was not the final chapter in the book.
When they spoke of places like Ephesus, I relived the moment I set foot inside the theater where the Apostle Paul was run out due to the fact that He was preaching about the one true living God as opposed to the god of Artemis.  The same theater where my dad and I proudly proclaimed, “Great is the God of the Apostle Paul!”  Through experiences like this as well as our adventures in Rome, I have literally walked in the footsteps of many of Jesus’ disciples as well as Mary, the mother of Jesus.  I have stood firmly on the ground where they walked and I have tried to imagine what it was like when they walked upon this earth.
I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed walking in their footsteps and I also enjoy watching dramatic representations of Bible times.  Nevertheless, there is one thing I love even more than these.  I love the fact that one day, we will no longer have to imagine what it was like to sit and have a conversation with Peter, Paul, or John.  We will not have to watch a depiction of Moses parting the Red Sea or a movie showing the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.  For one day, we will literally be sitting face to face with these heroes of the faith and with Jesus Christ himself.
I recently saw where someone said they were sad to see The Bible come to an end.  While this particular series they were referring to has come to an end, I couldn’t help but think how the Bible itself has not come to an end.  The Bible is a living book with prophecies that have not yet been fulfilled.  We are seeing news every day that brings us one step closer to the long-awaited day when Gabriel sounds the trumpet.  Those who have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ will rise to meet Him in the clouds.  All of the pain and suffering and heartache will be no more.  All tears will be wiped away.  The old will become new.  We will be changed.  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye.
Until that glorious day, we have a mission.  To share the love of Jesus Christ with everyone.  Like Jesus’ disciples, we are called to be fishers of men.  We are called to spread His light throughout a darkened world.  Perhaps you are still living in darkness.  I want to encourage you to call on the name of Jesus Christ.  Confess your sins.  Ask for forgiveness.  Your life will be forever changed.  You will have a personal relationship with the One who gave His life for our transgressions.  If you have already made this commitment, I want to encourage you to live for Jesus every day.  Bring the Bible to life through the way you live for Christ every day.  And one day, you’ll discover that the final chapter is really just the beginning of a forever life with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
In Christ’s Love,
Jennifer