As a little girl, people always asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  While I considered being a veterinarian, lawyer, or nurse, I always wanted to be a teacher.  And I especially wanted to be a writer, singer, and musician.  Now that I am older, there is one additional occupation that I’ve determined to strive toward.  I want to be a mountain mover!!!

Now, before you start jumping to conclusions, please allow me to explain.  I don’t really picture myself sitting atop a gigantic piece of machinery, maneuvering dirt, rocks, and gravel from one place to another.  And I realize that no matter how hard I try, I cannot physically pick up a mountain.  Nor can I bring a mountain home from North Carolina, Switzerland, or any other gorgeous mountainous region that I have had the opportunity to explore.  A mountain is just a little too large to set in the back of my SUV and drive home to Florida.  Even though I would absolutely LOVE to have a mountain in my backyard!  I am not even talking about a literal mountain that may be standing in my way.  I’m talking about those mountains that I encounter every day.

In life, there are many mountains that we must climb over, dig through, or go around.  They do not have trees, streams, and waterfalls covering them.  Instead, they have sicknesses, financial crises, and other difficult situations that arise to create obstacles for us to traverse.  But even in the face of adversity, when the sun is going down, our alternate light source is burned out, and we still haven’t even made it to the top of the mountain yet, God is right ahead of us.  He is walking each step ahead of us to ensure that no danger ensnares us.  He will always be our guide, over mountains and through valleys.  And sometimes, we can just tell the mountains to move!

You may be wondering, “How could I tell a mountain to move?”  It’s very simple.  Matthew 17:20 (NIV) says, “‘I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you.’”  God’s Word is telling us that we can do anything!  Nothing is impossible for us, if – yes, it’s that little word “if” that seems quite big at times – if, we have faith.  Now, the good news is that God can take a little bit of faith and make it go a long way.

The scripture says we need “faith as small as a mustard seed.”  Did you know that the average mustard seed weighs only 0.002 grams?  That translates to 2 milligrams or 0.000070548 ounces!  By comparison, a U.S. dollar bill weighs 1 whole gram.  One single plain M&M candy weighs 2.2 grams.  But in order to move a mountain, we only need faith the size of a mustard seed!  Think about it.  God doesn’t require us to have the faith of a giant in order to move mountains.  We only need a small amount of faith to move seemingly insurmountable objects!

Recently, I wrote a song titled, “Pray and Believe.”  I pray that God will use the lyrics from the chorus will minister to you in a special way.

Pray and Believe
Words and Music by Jennifer Campbell/BMI
Chorus
Anything is possible,
When you pray and believe.
God still works miracles,
If you have faith to receive.
Don’t give up on broken dreams,
There’s still dreams left to dream.
For anything is possible,
When you pray and believe.

Whatever you may be facing in life, remember this one thing: God wants you to be a mountain mover!  Nothing shall be impossible for you if you have faith to receive the miracle that God has in store for you!  I know firsthand that many things in life are difficult to handle.  There will be times when you feel like giving up.  I want to encourage you today.  God will never give you more than you can bear.  God is greater than anything that may come against us – divorce, war, cancer, anything!  Have faith.  Pray.  Believe.  God will work a miracle in your life.  With a mustard seed of faith, you can move mountains!

In Christ’s Love,
Jennifer