When I was growing up, the first day in the month of May was always one of the highlights of spring.  My Mom always helped me pick wildflowers or make May baskets to give to friends and family, in honor of May Day, as it is observed in the United States.  And of course, I always made sure to give my Mom something extra special.  It was a glorious day, brightened even more by the colorful beauty of the flowers and other goodies stowed inside each and every basket.  As I have grown older, I can no longer find time to make May baskets to place on people’s doorsteps.  While this special day will always bring to mind fond memories from my childhood, the phrase May Day truly has a double meaning for me personally.

When I think of the phrase May Day, I do not solely think of the times when my Mom and I enjoyed such happy times together.  I also think of the times in my life when I was venturing through a dark storm.  There have been times when I felt I would drown in a sea of sorrow, due to the torrential rain pouring down upon me.  You could liken my distress to the captain of a ship who has suffered a breach to the hull of their ship, striving to remain focused on getting the lifeboats launched and other emergency operations under way.  Other times, I felt like a pilot who is flying in the darkest of night, with zero visibility, unable to control the plane due to the wind, rain, and hail falling down from the heavens above.  Certainly, in a dire circumstance such as this, the pilot would immediately call out, without hesitation, “Mayday!  Mayday!  Mayday!”


While the distress signal “Mayday” is primarily used by mariners and aviators, the term would be quite appropriate for any sort of emergency.  The term Mayday comes from the French venez m'aider, meaning “come help me” (Dictionary.com).  Even though we do not have a radio on which to call for help, there is never a time that we cannot call on the name of Jesus Christ to help us.  God’s Word says, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear” (Hebrews 13:6 ESV).  If you find yourself drowning in despair, call out to Him.  If you are struggling to find a reason to get out of bed in the morning, ask Him to give you strength and purpose.  If you feel like you are in a sinking ship, or if you feel that you are flying in a plane that is about to collide into the mountains ahead of you, call out to Jesus, saying, “Mayday!  Mayday!  Mayday!”  Jesus Christ will answer your request, and come to help you.

Personally, I feel a little like calling out, “Mayday,” myself right now.  One week from today, I will be delivering the special music on Mother’s Day.  Not only that, but I am singing one of my Mom’s favorite songs that I have written.  My heart strings are being pulled in every direction.  My mind is worried.  Will I be able to sing on key?  Will I cry in front of everyone?  Will I forget the words, due to my distress?  I have been calling on the name of Jesus to help me.  When I am talking to our Heavenly Father, it seems like a hand rests upon my shoulder.  I feel a sudden calm.  It’s as if Jesus is saying to me, “I heard your distress call, my child.  I’m here to help you.  I know it will be difficult for you, but you can do it.  I know you can.  And I will be standing right beside you, holding your hand, guiding you all along the way.”

Jesus Christ does not desire for any of His children to experience fear, hopelessness, or despair.  He does not want us to feel as though we are being drawn into a dark tunnel from which we will never escape.  He wants us to see the light.  Not just the light at the end of the tunnel, but the Light.  Jesus said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (John 8:12 ESV).  Jesus is the Light of the entire world.  He can take away the darkness that surrounds you.  He can make the sun shine again.  With Jesus on your side, the shipwrecks and plane crashes of life will seem less treacherous.  The hurdles you are required to jump over will seem less strenuous.  And when you feel the walls are closing in around you, He will be there to help you.  Call on the precious name of Jesus.  He will take your miserable Mayday nightmare and turn it into a beautiful May Day dream.

In Christ’s Love,

Jennifer