As I was visiting with a friend this afternoon, I happened to pay special attention to the perpetual calendar on their desk.  Today’s message read, “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1 NIV).  When was the last time you had complete faith that something you wanted would come to pass?  Can you honestly say that you always put your faith in God, no matter what trials come against you?  Or does Satan often wriggle his way in, causing you to question whether or not God truly has everything under control?  No matter what you may encounter on your journey, have faith.  God will see you through.
 

In August 2005, one of the deadliest hurricanes recorded in U.S. history struck the coast of Louisiana.  Hurricane Katrina was responsible for the loss of more than 1,800 lives.  I can recall sitting in front of the television, barely able to believe what had happened.  With every levee that gave way, my heart sunk a little deeper into my chest.  The homes destroyed, the lives lost, and an entire city changed forever.  While I prayed fervently for the people residing in the path of destruction, I wondered, how can they have hope?  When they are wading through waist deep water full of sewage, how could they possibly even think God exists?  As they pull a loved one out of the water, only to find they were a moment too late, how can they put their faith in God?  Still, I prayed that God would walk beside them, helping them from one moment to the next.

As I switched the channel from CNN to The 700 Club, I was introduced to a precious woman of God whom I will always remember.  Her name is Gerta.  She lives in St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.  She was being interviewed because she had experienced a deadly hurricane many years back.  Even though the location where she lived was being evacuated, she was unwilling to leave.  Instead, she stood inside her kitchen, surrounding by glass windows, praying.  She had complete assurance that God would see her through the storm.  While many homes around her were completely demolished, her home remained unscathed.  Although I cannot recall her last name, nor would I recognize her face if she walked in the door of my home, the words she spoke are forever etched in my memory bank.  She said, “If you’re anchored in Jesus, you’ll be safe.”  At that very moment, I knew she had said something wise beyond my years.
 

A few days later, I wrote a song titled, “Have Faith.”  The lyrics of the song talk about a woman who is sitting next to a loved one who has gone on to be with the Lord.  Then, it talks about little children who are crying out in fear.  In life, there are situations we cannot avoid.  There are problems we cannot solve on our own.  There are moments when we may want to simply throw in the towel.  I want to encourage you by telling you that there is never a time in your life when you should just give up.  When you feel like giving up, give your burdens to Jesus.  He is waiting with open arms, waiting to help you when life gets to hard to handle.  He will walk with you through the flood.  He will be your Shelter from the storm.  He loves you more than you could ever imagine.  Have faith.  God will see you through.
 
In Christ’s Love,

Jennifer