Are you waiting for that “big break?”  Do you spend every waking moment dreaming about that moment when you win the lottery, land a role in the next box office hit, or finally get the job you have been waiting for all of your life?  In your zest to radically change your life, do you often overlook the daily joys because of your focus on the single moment that you hope changes everything?  While it is easy to center your life on one lofty goal, make sure you take time to enjoy the small victories in life.  As one wise person once said, “Take time to smell the roses.”  Otherwise, you may easily miss out on what is happening right now, simply because you are waiting for something to happen.

Personally, I often find myself thinking of the future, as opposed to delighting in the present.  There are times when my Dad and I will be anticipating an exotic voyage on a cruise, or other adventurous vacation, and it seems all of my thoughts revolve around that one trip.  At times, I can scarcely concentrate on my daily tasks, due to thoughts regarding our adventure…  What clothes should I pack?  How many SD cards should I format for my camera?  I need to make sure I take my curling iron.  Oh, and I certainly cannot forget to take my iPod!  And most importantly, I need to pack my Bible.  The list goes on and on.  I know there are times I spend a much greater number of minutes planning what to pack than I spend actually packing.  But, it is the anticipation of the joyful journey that lures me in, and causes me to center my thoughts on all of the tiniest details, often to the exclusion of what is going on in the immediate present.

Other times, I find myself dreaming of the moment that I am blessed to have my first book published, a dream I have had since I was a little girl.  I write and write, anticipating this very day.  The desire to write becomes so great at times that nothing but writing will provide contentment.  The words come flowing forth, and I find such relaxation when I am writing them all down, sure to not miss even one.  Does this mean I don’t like to do anything but write?  Certainly not!  But, there are times when I want to focus all of my thoughts and energy on this one passion.  At the same time, there are moments when I put all of my resources into singing or speaking to women about my journey to finding joy around the bend.  Even so, I realize that I have so many opportunities to minister to others, whether I am writing, singing, speaking, or simply performing my normal daily routine as a middle school teacher.


We may want to be the next big superstar or we may wish we were a millionaire.  Inevitably, though, the most important thing is whether or not we are in the will of God.  In His timing, He will move us to the next phase of our life.  We are called to give 100% of ourselves to the Lord’s work, knowing that everything we do as unto the Lord is valuable.  I Corinthians 15:58 (NIV) says, “Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you.  Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”  God calls us to stand firm.  In other words, we should not waver.  We should put our complete trust in the Lord that He will give us the ability to complete every task with the knowledge that we are on a journey to a destination much bigger than Hollywood or Broadway.  We are working toward a Heavenly goal.  And what is the best part?  This “big break” is given freely to all who will believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God.

So, if you’re constantly thinking of what step you should take to strike it big, remember this: the most important step you will ever take is to ask Jesus to be the Lord of your life.  Once you begin this personal relationship with Him, you will be able to immediately say that you are a servant of the Lord of Lords, a child of the King of Kings, and a friend of the Savior of the World.  Worldly successes may be enjoyable, but only for a season.  The successes you find in Jesus Christ, however, last forever.  So, the next time you think about your next “big break,” think about the ultimate “big break.”  If you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, you will experience a life beyond any you could ever imagine on this earth below.  One day, you’ll have that mansion you’ve always dreamed of, and you’ll be walking on streets of gold surrounded by gates of pearl.  Everyone will know your name, and you’ll know their names as well.  Best of all, Jesus Christ will be walking right beside you, just as He’s done all of your life.  Why wait?  Take the first step today.  Your “big break” has arrived…

In Christ’s Love,

Jennifer