Mother’s Day is one of the most beloved holidays on the calendar.  The mere mention of Mom evokes a feeling that symbolizes a lifetime of love.  Whether she is called Mother, Mom, Mama, Mum, or Mommy, the woman who takes care of her household and gives birth to her children is to be praised (Proverbs 31:30).  So take a moment today to praise your mother for everything she has done for you.  From changing your diapers and cleaning up your messes to being your personal chauffeur to countless activities and giving you a priceless treasure trove of wisdom, your mother has loved you unconditionally since the day you were conceived.  Whether you buy her a sentimental card or a bountiful bouquet of flowers, the most important thing you could do for your mother is to let her know you appreciate her and you love her.

Perhaps you are like me and your mom is no longer living on this earth.  You may question, “Why can’t we fast forward through the commercials mentioning Mother’s Day, avoid the greeting card aisles, and stop hearing about all of the endless celebrations honoring mom?”  The answer is simple.  God wants us to honor our mothers every day of our lives.  Ephesians 6:2-3 says, “‘Honor your father and mother’--which is the first commandment with a promise—‘that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’”  You see, we are not only to honor our parents in order to please them.  We are to honor our parents in order to please God.  By doing so, God has promised that we can enjoy a long life on this earth.

As a child, it seemed that nothing could ever separate my mom, dad, and I.  We were like the Three Musketeers.  In my mind, we would always be together.  I already had plans of building a house on our property upon getting married.  My children could see their grandparents every day of the year, providing we were not busy traveling the globe.  I knew it would be amazing to have my mom close by, to answer all of the questions that marriage and motherhood would raise.  Suddenly, though, on August 2, 2008, all of my dreams for the future came crashing down around me.  My mom had a heart attack and went to be with the Lord.  There was no warning, no chance for goodbyes.  The world as I knew it up until that tragic night changed instantly.  Nothing could have ever prepared me for the void in my heart.

That’s often how things happen.  Life changes in the blink of an eye.  In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson issued a presidential proclamation, establishing the first national Mother’s Day holiday.  Less than three months later, World War I ensued, resulting in over 22 million casualties.  I’m sure on the first Mother’s Day, many mothers and children alike never dreamed their lives would change forever over the course of the next four years.  But the family members who survived this catastrophic battle likely became closer knit, held together by an even stronger bond of love, with the complete realization of how fragile and precious life truly is.  Even though their lives changed drastically, they continued living life.  They did not stop honoring their parents, but continued to honor them through the way they lived their own lives.

Since my mom passed away, bittersweet memories still cloud many aspects of my life, especially on Mother’s Day.  While things have changed, and I no longer know what God’s plan is for me concerning marriage and motherhood, I know for certain that God holds my future in His hands.  I may not understand everything He has planned for me, but I trust in His perfect will.  Romans 8:28 says, “All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.” My dad and I love God.  We know we are called to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am grateful for our shared heart for ministry and music.  God has blessed us with a strong father-daughter bond.  No matter what trials come our way, or what battles we find ourselves in, God will work all things out for our good.

I want to encourage you today.  God will do the same for you.  If your heart breaks with the thought of another Mother’s Day without your mom, rest assured that God will work all things out for your good.  Focus on the priceless memories you have of your mom.  Honor her by telling someone a story as you reminisce over the cherished time you shared with your mom.  Honor her by spending time with your dad, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, or friends who knew her.  Honor her by giving the greatest gift you could ever give to your children: unconditional love.  Most importantly, remember that God has not forsaken you.  God says in His Word, “‘As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you’” (Isaiah 66:13).  Even in the absence of your mother, know that God is watching over you, comforting you, loving you unconditionally.  Your Heavenly Father will mend your broken heart and restore your joy.  Unlike the people and pleasures found in this world, He is the only One who eternally can fill the void of a parent, a child, or any other loved one.  You are loved by the One who created the Heavens and the Earth!  Rest in His loving arms this Mother’s Day!

Mothers are extraordinary women.  Sadly, they will not be in our lives forever.  The Bible says that our lives are like a vapor, here one moment and gone the next.  So cherish each moment you have with your mother.  If your mom is still living, spend as much time as you can with her, give her a warm embrace, and tell her how much you love her.  Honor your mother and your father.  Above all, honor God, our faithful Friend, our compassionate Comforter, and our loving Father in Heaven.  He is the Father to the fatherless and the mother to the motherless.  Tell someone about Jesus Christ and His infinite love this Mother’s Day.  I could think of no better way to honor your mother!

In Christ’s Love,
Jennifer