As a child, was there ever a time when you enjoyed hiding in a “Secret Place?”  Or have you ever tried to hide from the problems you were facing in life?  The Bible promises you that you can always rest in the safety of Jesus’ arms.  He is the Shelter in which you can hide when life gets tough.  During these moments of unrest, it is easy to search for a secret place, a place where you can escape the worries and cares of this world.  Sometimes, though, Jesus brings us through trials in order to bring us to victories.  He will walk beside you, in good times and bad.  He will be your help in times of trouble.  Don’t hide in secret; instead, seek shelter from the One who gives us life.

When I was a little girl, my Mom and I would always go into our “Secret Place.”  Our “Secret Place” consisted of a lower piece of ground in my Papa Joe and Grandma Ethel’s woods.  I would always pull my little red wagon out there, full of Cabbage Patch dolls and stuffed animals.  We would spread a blanket out on the ground and have a picnic together.  Other times we played dress-up or Barbie dolls, and baked cookies together.  Even as I grew older, we still did things together like making jewelry, scrapbooking, and of course, we still baked sweet treats together.  Needless to say, my Mom and I were best friends who did everything together.

On August 2, 2008, my life changed.  My Mom went home to be with the Lord as the result of a heart attack that occurred while we were vacationing in the mountains.  Without her, my life is incomplete.  While my heart is broken, my heart also rejoices.  My Mom has not gone to a “Secret Place.”  I know where she is, and I am pleased to say that her new home is not a secret location, nor is the method of getting there a secret.

Although that day was the saddest day of my entire life, I know in my heart that it was one of the happiest days of my Mom’s life.  She was a Christian who loved the Lord with all of her heart.  2 Corinthians 5:8 (KJV) says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.  While the absence of my mom is extraordinarily difficult, I know that the moment she entered the presence of the Lord, she began worshipping and praising our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.


For Christians, this world is simply a temporary home, similar to a waiting room at a doctor’s office.  We are waiting for God to call us to our true home in Heaven.  Still, as humans, this wait often seems like it is never-ending.  Then, something life-changing happens, like losing a parent, spouse, or child.  It is at this moment that you find out who you really are as a Christian.  This is the point when your faith in Christ is truly put to the test.  Whether we are celebrating a victory or healing from defeat, our faith should be an ever-present part of our daily lives.  The Bible says, “For we walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV).  We need to walk as if our eyes were closed, allowing God to guide our steps according to His perfect will.


Many times, things happen in our lives that cause us to question, “Why me, Lord?” or “Why now, Lord?”  Although it is natural for our human minds to question God’s direction in our lives, we need to realize that His plan is perfect in every way.  Psalm 18:30 (NIV) says, “As for God, His way is perfect; The LORD’s word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in Him.”  Satan may try to convince us otherwise, but God is a sovereign God.  He has a plan for our life that is more than we ever dreamed possible.

God will never lead us into a sunset without providing a sunrise.  He will never take us into a cloudy day without providing a rainbow.  God’s word says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5 NIV).  This means that we may not always understand something on our own.  Instead, we need to lean on the Lord and trust that He will give us strength to weather every storm.  The journey of life is full of uncertainties and often seems like a frightening place to be.  Even so, we will never find ourselves trapped in a tunnel of darkness.  In every situation, Jesus is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jesus extends an open invitation to all who believe.  And I know in my heart that my Mom would not want me to write this blog without extending the same invitation to you.  Accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior today before it is too late.  I can assure you, the valley I have been walking through would be far too much to bear, if it was not for my relationship with Jesus Christ.  Jesus offers everyone hope and everlasting life.  All we have to do is have faith and believe.  The Bible says plainly, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13 NIV).

My Mom, Dad, and I accepted the invitation.  Because of this, my Dad and I will see my Mom again when God calls His children home.  While my Dad and I miss my mom greatly here on earth, she is in Heaven.  Although our hearts hurt, we have hope in Christ.  Daddy has not lost his wife.  I have not lost my Mom.  Pamela Suzanne Campbell is not lost because we know exactly where she is.  Her new home is not a “Secret Place.”  In Heaven, we will see her again, where there is no sorrow or tears, sickness or pain.  Until that happy reunion, we can rejoice the promise of God in Revelation 21:4 (NIV): “‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”  Heaven is not a secret; it is only a prayer away.

In Christ’s Love,

Jennifer